Chamber of Commerce Icon Back to home
Find us on Twitter
Find us on Facebook

The Church in Cody

  • The Church in Cody

Many of the original Mormon pioneers who helped settle Wyoming’s Big Horn Basin settled in towns along the Sidon Canal they constructed. However, it was not until the 1920s that members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints settled in and around Cody.

A small congregation, or branch, of the church was formally created in 1937, and the number of LDS faithful slowly increased. To accommodate the congregation, construction of the chapel that eventually housed the Historic Cody Mural began in 1948 and was completed in 1949.

Today The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints continues to flourish in Cody, which now has four wards in and around the town. In 1973, the Cody Wyoming Stake was created which today incorporates 13 LDS congregations, encompassing the communities of Burlington, Cody, Meeteetse, Otto and Powell.